Smile for the camera!!

Smile for the camera!!
Problem, officer?

Friday, April 30, 2010

Blogging and all this and whatever and junk and stuff and crud and cheese and mayonnaise and pickles with extra relish and source code, with an ext...

Yeah...so...apparrently, instead of blogging about the usefulness of hit tests, I have to blog about a given topic. In my opinion, the blogging part of the class should be optional, and not graded. Instead, the blog should be self-directed and only slightly moderated, to promote free and unsupervised exchange. When people feel that they are not being watched, they tend to be more open, and are more likely to share their findings. I favor lassiez-faire leadership and free collaboration, rather than a moderated and forced spouting of opinions on a predetermined topic. With the way that it is being done, the blogs are actually taking away from the game-making experience. Think about it.

If I had not been given a topic today, I was going to blog about my findings about hit tests, the coding involved, and how useful they can be. I am using hit tests to progress my game from screen to screen, as well as killing enemies, taking damage, and all sorts of things. The whole class almost feels forced. Someone actually wanted to help kids learn how to make games, but an overly oppressive school board, which happens to be more than slightly too anal about making everything seem traditionally "educational", refuses to let something not be purely about reading, writing, or arithmetic. As a future game designer, I couldn't be more tickled if this class helps others as much as it did me, but for science's sake, let it be about making the GAME! Pic related.

1 comment: